October 8, 2011

I'm knitting again!!!!!! :D

Ok. I will be the first to admit that I'm probably the worst blogger ever. and the worst knitter ever. Now that my unintentional 6 month knitting sabbatical (yes, I was shocked when I counted it out too) is over, I believe I should be better. My excuse? Well, the weather got nice. And anyone who knows anything about the Inland Northwest knows that when that occurs, you best take advantage of it. So I've been taking every opportunity to go on little mountain adventures and bigger trips across the ocean to Hawaii, etc; and the rest of my free time has been wrapped up in editing pretty pictures from all those adventures. Plus, I have not figured out how I'm going to organize my stash!!!! It's still in boxes behind the door of my room :|
Soooo.. I'm thinking my 2011 knitting wishlist will be pushed to 2012.
I'm starting fresh. and - my re-debut project isn't even on my list.
It's a pretty simple cabled scarf, using some lusciously chunky Malibrigo yarn (in "Red Java") and has been just the thing to get me back in the mood of Fall knitting.

In light of all this, I would also like to take this opportunity to honor a dear friend of mine who recently passed away in a tragic motorcycle accident. RPD patrol officer, Jonathan Franco of Rathdrum, Idaho made every effort to bring joy and encouragement to everyone around him, usually by the severe overuse of Facebook smileys and Facebook "likes". He was quite the adventurous type and most definitely inspired and encouraged that trait in me as well. He took a keen interest in my knitting aspirations, complimented my work and said it was good that I was so industrious with my hands :) He even asked me, "why is yarn so darn expensive?..." and effectively dodged my response inquiry of "what expensive yarn have you been around lately?"

He was a man of faith and integrity who really took the time to get to know you as a person. He loved well. He received love well. He opened his heart and his home to everyone. He was one of those people you could talk to about ANYTHING without fear of judgment or harsh rebuke. You could ask him ANYTHING and expect an honest answer, although it was sometimes indirect or sprinkled with humor, as appropriate :) ... One thing that I noticed looking back on our correspondences, was how much he encouraged qualities in me that pointed to my identity in Christ, and affirmed me, showing me that I could have confidence in who God made me to be. That encouragement is now helping me be strong in the face of his loss. He was a curious individual, unabashedly asking me my thoughts on deep theological matters as well as pointed questions on the specifics of my personal testimony. That man definitely left this earth knowing more about me than I ever learned of him. I only knew him for 10 short months, and I believe changed my life for the better; I stand either babbling nonsense or awkwardly speechless with the people who knew him for years - I appreciate their grace & patience with me in that. I had the privilege of hangin' out with him with a friend the night before the accident.. We discussed various topics like our thoughts on the Healing Rooms, "heart checks", wireless routers, guns, our personal baptism experiences, artistry & the heart of God, and spontaneous road trips. Good stuff.
God knew I needed that.
He knew I needed a friend like Jonny.
Jonny is greatly missed among his friends, family and community.
Yes, I'm aware that's a bit of an understatement.
Jonathan Mathew Franco | November 30, 1983 - September 24, 2011



2 comments:

  1. Erica, don't let anyone take away from the connection you felt with Franco. Just because someone else knew him longer does not lessen the relationship you had with him. Many prayers as you continue to sort out your grief. <3 I look forward to seeing your knitting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That means so much, Erin ~ you are such a lovely and strong lady. I will be praying for you too. <3

    ReplyDelete