November 12, 2011

My Cozy New England Autumn Scarf

and that's what it is - took me a while to figure out a name for it. But it's cozy, and I knit it for my cousin who resides in New England, it's currently Autumn, and it's a pretty scarf. My mom passed along this delightfully chunky Malibrigo in "Red Java" a while ago and a few weeks ago, I decided to pick it up and do something with it. I started it as a scarf for myself, but after seeing how quickly I was able to knit it up, I knew I could have it done by the time I went to Rhode Island. (See, this is the only way I can actually get anything done - knitting for someone else and having a timeline!) My cousin has always wanted me to knit her something, so I knew this was going to be perfect for her!! :) I diligently knitted stitch by stitch, row by row, cable twist by cable twist, right up until the night before I was going to see her. I was in Manhattan at my grandparent's apartment when I finished and was grateful for the little bit of counter-space in the back of their apartment that was just the perfect size to block it! It was dry by morning! Tucked it into my little suitcase for the 3 1/2 hour trek up to Providence, RI and after a little Thai food, a chill folk concert, and settling into her guest room, a.k.a. her living room/computer room, I presented the scarf to her with a smile; she was delighted and wore it for the rest of the weekend. This made my heart very happy.

Now, here's to remembering how I made it!

I believe I started out casting on 20 stitches of chunky weight yarn onto size 13 needles
knit across one row then started the cable pattern:
(panel of 14 stitches + 6 stitches for selvage.)
Row 1 and all other WS rows: k1, p2, k1, p12, k1, p2, slip last stitch
Row 2: k3, p1, 2/2 LC, k4, 2/2 RC, p1, k2, slip last stitch
Row 4: k3, p1, k2, 2/2 LC, 2/2 RC, k2, p1, k2, slip last stitch
Row 6: k3, p1, k4, 2/2 LC, k4, p1, k2, slip last stitch
Repeat rows 1-6 until you've reached desired length, knit across one row, then bind off one row
Tuck in ends and block

and in case you don't know what any of this means:
WS = wrong side

k = knit
p = purl

2/2 LC = 2/2 Left Cross
slip 2 stitches onto a cable needle and hold in front of work, knit next two stitches from left hand needle, knit the two stitches from the cable needle.

2/2 RC = 2/2 Right Cross
slip 2 stitches onto a cable needle and hold in back of work, knit next two stitches from left hand needle, knit the two stitches from the cable needle.

This scarf is best enjoyed on a blustery Fall day with a cup of tea. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment