January 4, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

It's just after 10:00 on a Wednesday. ALL of my clothing is either in my closet, in my chest of drawers, in my hamper or on me - the laundry baskets are empty, for the first time since I moved into this house!! Along with that, about half of my yarn is put away in my new cubbies. I feel at least one step closer to being truly organized. :)
I usually don't do New Year's resolutions. Who keeps them, really? If you have some great new idea for how to do or not do something, why wait till the New Year? Well, a good friend of mine posted a few on Facebook today (10 actually... she can be intense like that) and one really caught my eye as to how simple and impactful it would be: to not buy any clothes. Now, as much as I love shopping for new clothes, I've always held a lot of pride in the deals I've gotten -- always buy off the clearance rack at 70-80% off... BOGO sales ... loss leader sales. I refuse to spend tons of money for clothes. The prospect of not buying any new clothes at all struck me as interesting because it made me think of how much it might spark a new dynamic of creativity in my sense of style - in mixing and matching, mending, altering, making new clothes & accessories. Possibilities are endless. This might even be a new motivation in finishing some of my knitting projects ;)
So here goes... almost 5 days late in setting it, but at least I haven't broken it yet. I will not buy any new clothes this year - I will buy thrift store jeans only when necessary (I tend to wear through jeans a lot!!).
I believe this is tangible enough to actually stick to!

No comments:

Post a Comment